Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Charging for Agritourism Operations

Eckert AgriMarketing, a leader in agritourism marketing, just released information about charging for agritourism operations. According to Jane Eckert, the issue is whether to charge general admission or charge by the activity. I think you will enjoy reading her comments on this issue. Click here for the entire article.

Thursday, December 12, 2013

Gardening Plans for 2014

As we approach the end of a year, I always make out a new to-do list. If you have land suitable for gardening adding a garden opens up lots of opportunities to teach about soil requirements, fertilization, planting and harvesting.  Any and all would be of interest to our school age audiences
For more information on how to get started, read, "Farmers Market and Home Gardening Resource Guide, " on the LSU AgCenter's agritourism website.



Monday, December 9, 2013

Christmas Tree Farms

Some of my favorite memories at Christmastime include searching for the perfect Christmas tree. Few people have a family farm to look for trees on today, but there are numerous Christmas tree farms located throughout our state that no only have trees but lots of fun activities for children to enjoy as they search for a tree.

For a listing of tree farms near you I suggest you log onto:

Pick Your Own Christmas Tree

MarketMaker (look under agritourism category) for a listing of Christmas Tree Farms.

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Louisiana's Agritourism Limited Liability Law

To become a certified agritourism operator, one must seek protection according to the guidelines found in  La R.S. 9:2795.5, the limited liability agritourism law passed in 2008. 

There are numerous online helps found on our agritourism website:

You should begin by reading all of our publications and then following the guidelines enumerated in "Agritourism Certification Steps."

I can  be reached by calling:  (318) 927-9654 x229; or by e-mailing at

Monday, December 2, 2013

USDA Animal Certification

Agritourism operators who use animals as part of their agritourism venture are be subject to the requirements of the Animal Welfare Act regulations.

If your agritourism venture charges people to see animals, pet them or feed them you need a license as an exhibitor. If you do not have a license from USDA and are engaging in this practice, you could be subject to a $10,000 fine.

To safeguard your operation, you should call Dr. Lynn Bourgeios, veterinary medical officer with USDA animal care. Dr. Bourgeois can be reached by calling his office at (985) 537-0691 or by calling his cell at (240) 461-9182. He travels the state, so please leave a message. In the event that none of these numbers work call Mike Long at (970) 494-7471 to learn how to become certified. If no answer, call the main number (970) 494-7478 and ask to speak with someone concerning USDA certification under the Animal Welfare Act.

The process requires completion of an application and an inspection. During the inspection, officials will check on husbandry issues, veterinary care program, where animals live and review how animal food is stored.

So, if you have a petting zoo, race pigs, have a goat walk, ride horses, etc. you need to contact USDA and see if you need to become certified.